Top Cars Details
Rolls Royce Cars
Rolls Royce Testing
KTM200 Duke Bikes
Toyota Lexus Cars
BMW Hitherto
BMW Cars ShowRoom
Aston Martin One77 Car
Vehicle Maintenance Tip
more..
Auto Showrooms
Sponsored Links
BMW Bikes Details
Bikes Wallpapers
Cars Wallpapers
 
Home >> Car Details>>BMW (Bayerische Motoren Werke GmbH)

Bayerische Motoren Werke GmbH (BMW)

The departure of Karl Rapp enabled a fundamental restructuring of BMW GmbH, formerly Rapp Motorenwerke. While the development side was placed under Max Friz, Franz Josef Popp took over the post of Managing Director. Popp held this key position until his retirement in 1942, and was instrumental in shaping the future of BMW.

BMW Logo

The name-change to Bayerische Motoren Werke compelled management to devise a new logo for the company, therefore the famous BMW trademark is designed and patented at this time. However, they remained true to the imagery of the previous Rapp Motorenwerke emblem (which was designed by Karl's brother, Ottmar Rapp). Thus, both the old and the new logo were built up in the same way: the company name was placed in a black circle, which was once again given a pictorial form by placing a symbol within it. The inner area of the Rapp logo was decorated with the head of a black horse – "Rappe" in German. By analogy with this, the blue and white panels of the Bavarian national flag were placed at the center of the BMW logo. Not until the late 1920s was the logo lent a new interpretation as representing a rotating propeller. The BMW Trademark, called a "roundel", was submitted for registration on the rolls of the Imperial Patent Office,
and registered there with no. 221388 on 10 Dec 1917. The trade mark was intended for the following goods: "Land, air and seagoing vehicles, automobiles, bicycles, accessories for automobiles and bicycles, vehicle components, stationary engines for solid, liquid and gaseous fuels and their components and accessories.

Growth of BMW: (Turning Points)

1910:Initial Public Offer – BMW Gmbh: On August 13, 1918 slightly two months before the end of the First World War BMW GmbH was converted in to Joint Stock Corporation with a share capital of 12 million Reichsmarks, one-third of which was held by Camillo Castiglioni, Franz Josef Popp, the General Manager of the former limited liability company was appointed General Director.

1920:Fresh Start & Change of Activity The end of the war in November 1918 had a huge impact on the entire German aircraft Industry as military demand collapsed completely. After the end of the war, the company turned its attention to rail vehicle brakes and built in engines, following the production ban on aircraft engines. In 1922 the company sold its engine production operations, together with the name BMW, to Bayerische Flugzeug Werke (BFW) and moved in to its factory. The date on which BFW was founded March 7, 1916 is thus taken as the date of establishment of the enterprise that was once again known as Bayerische Motoren Werke AG.

BMW History
1930:Aircraft Engine Production Unit sold: From 1933, production of aircraft engines received huge state subsidies in Germany. In 1934, BMW AG hived off its Aircraft Engines Division into BMW Flugmotorenbau GmbH. Two years later, the stock corporation and the limited liability company together established Flugmotorenfabrik Eisenach GmbH, which incorporated BMW into its name in 1939.

1936:Establishment of new plant at Allach: BMW AG and BMW Flugmotorenbau GmbH established the aircraft engine manufacturer Flugmotorenfabrik Allach GmbH. But only one year later they transferred their shares to Luftahrtkontor GmbH Berlin, which provide hidden state subsidies for the BMW Allach plant, near Munich. The plant underwent rapid expansion for the volume production of aircraft engines up until 1941.

1939:Brandenburgishce Motorenwerke taken over: Shortly before the outbreak of the Second World War, BMW took over Bramo and incorporated the Spandau plant into BMW AG as BMW Flugmotorenwerke Brandenburg GmbH.

1945:Rising from the rag: The Munich plant sustained serious damage in air raids from 1944 where as Allach plant remained almost undamaged. In mid 1945, BMW was granted permission to carry out repairs of US army vehicles in Allach and in return was allowed to manufacture spare parts, agricultural equipment and bicycles. It was also authorized to build motorcycles again. In the east, the company's factory at Eisenach was taken over by the Soviet Awtowelo group which formed finally the Eisenacher Motor-Werke. In 1952, following the nationalization of the factory it built “Wartburg” cars from 1955. The US military Government issued orders in Oct 1945 that the BMW plants in Munich and Allach be dismantled. As a consequence BMW lost control over its assets.

1948:Start journey with Two Wheelers: The design of the First post war BMW Motorcycle were ready by summer 1947 and a prize draw for the first R 24 was held among the workforce shortly before Christmas 1948. The first volume production model sold spectacularly. 18% of BMW motorcycles were already being exported by 1950.

1959: Near to collapse: In 1950s The BMW Company was in a situation of likely to collapse. After 1959, BMW was restructured under Herbert Quandt’s control. 1960: Acquisition of plants at Dingolfing & Landshut: The BMW was initially planning to build new facilities, but then in 1967 it bought the crisis ridden company Hans Glas GmbH with its three plants in Dingolfing and Landshut.

1969: Production of Motorcycles relocated to Berlin: Since BMW needs space at its Munich plant for the expansion of car production activities, production of BMW motorcycles was consequently moved to Berlin Spandau in 1969. This plant has built aircraft engines until 1945 and then machine tools

1970: New Chairman – Co. becomes MNC. In 1970 Eberhard v. Keinheim was appointed as the new Chairman of the Board of Management by the BMW supervisory board. Under his leadership, BMW developed from a national company into an international brand. BMW AG established the Herbert Quandt Foundation to mark the 60th birthday of its principal shareholder. In 1971 new subsidiary BMW Kredit GmbH was set up to finance business transactions of both the company and its dealers. BMW importer in South Africa was facing bankruptcy. In an effort not to lose this market, BMW board of management in 1972 has decided to setup first production plant in Africa. BMW established the separate Munich based company Motorsport GmbH for managing its sports activities professionally. Its race engines were exceptionally successful in Formula 2 racing. They created independent sport vehicle as BMW M1 cars. The exterior of new BMW Head office at Munich was finished in time for the 1972 Olympic games. By the time the company occupied it in 1973, it had already outgrown its new home. Along with the takeover of Hans Glas GmbH, BMW has also acquired its engine production plant in Landshut and merged it with BMW. BMW moved its aluminium foundry here at the end of 1980s and setup a pilot car recycling plant that was subsequently moved to north Munich. In 1979 BMW Motoren GmbH Steyr was established jointly by BMW AG and Steyr Daimler Puch AG. In 1983 first diesel engine was built here and this plant is now the group’s competence centre for diesel technology.

From 1980: Activities Diversified: On March 1, 1984 BMW Berlin Spandau plant was officially opened by Chancellor Helmut Kohl, it now manufactured car components as well as BMW motorcycles. In 1987 new plant at Regensburg was opened to produce BMW 3 Series cars in response to growing demand for this model.

From 1990: Research and Development Wing: In 1990 the Research and Innovation center FIZ was officially opened. The site of an old barracks in north Munich acquired by BMW became the home to the FIZ center. In 1994, the plant in Spartanburg (South Carolina) was opened for the production of the BMW Z3 roadster. In late 1990s, the plant extended its production facilities for BMW X5. BMW purchased the British based Rover Group, with the active brands Rover, Land Rover, Mini and MG. In 1998, BMW Group acquired the rights to the name Rolls Royce for Cars which at that time were being built by the Volkswagen Group.

From 2000: On account of unaffordable cost of production Rover, Land Rover and MG sold: Since the acquisition of the Rover Group, the costs of restricting the company had risen even more sharply. The BMW Group sold Rover, Land Rover and MG. The Mini brand was retained by the BMW Group. To the mark the 70th Birthday of its outgoing Supervisory Board Chairman Eberhard V. Kuenheim the BMW Group decided to set up a second foundation alongside the Herbert Quandit Foundation named after v. Kuenheim. In 2003 BMW Group constructed a new worldwide head office and manufacturing plant for Rolls Royce Motor Cars in Goodwood, Great Britain. With the Brands BMW, MINI and Rolls Royce Motor Cars, the BMW Group has been focusing on selected premium segment in international car markets.

BMW Car Models Details

BMW 116d Car BMW 116i Car BMW 116i Exclusive Car
BMW 116iM Sport Car BMW 118d Car BMW 118d Cabriolet Car
BMW Hitherto Source: BMW Group Site